MCN Care Instructions
Caring for your Modern Cloth Nappies
- FIRST TIME: Before using your nappies/inserts/boosters for the first time, we recommend soaking them in water overnight and then washing them around 3 times (normal-length cycle) to make them more absorbent. Keep in mind, it will take 8-10 washes to gain maximum absorbency.
- Shake solids into the toilet and if you want to, rinse off any excess (cold water)
- Place soiled nappy and insert into a dry bucket until next wash
- SHORT Pre-Rinse Cycle (Cold or Warm) to remove any solids or excess urine prior to main wash (no detergent)
- NORMAL length cycle with (30 - 40 degrees), with the rest of your other laundry. Use detergent. Recommended Long or Heavy cycles.
- Line dry - drape the nappy shell horizontally over the line, so that gravity does not strain the elastics OR Tumble dry - inserts (medium heat) and shells (low heat)
- Don't use fabric softeners (or detergent containing it) as this can reduce the absorbency of the fibre
- Don't use nappy balms or creams containing zinc or petroleum as this may stick to the insert and reduce absorption (if you need to, place a disposable liner on top of the insert)
- Don't expose the nappy shell (the waterproof part) to heat over 60 degrees
- Dry in sunlight if possible to reduce bacteria and stains (also it's cheaper!)
- If bamboo insert becomes stiff, opt for tumble dry and the insert should soften
- Wash your dirty nappies every 1-2 days if possible, to discourage growth of bacteria.