Care & Fit Instructions
Caring for your Modern Cloth Nappies
- FIRST TIME: Before using your nappies/inserts/boosters for the first time, we recommend soaking them in water overnight and then washing them around 3 times (normal-length cycle) to make them more absorbent. Keep in mind, it will take 8-10 washes to gain maximum absorbency.
- Shake solids into the toilet and if you want to, rinse off any excess (cold water)
- Place soiled nappy and insert into a dry bucket until next wash
- SHORT Pre-Rinse Cycle (Cold or Warm) to remove any solids or excess urine prior to main wash (no detergent)
- NORMAL length cycle with (30 - 40 degrees), with the rest of your other laundry. Use detergent. Recommended Long or Heavy cycles.
- Line dry - drape the nappy shell horizontally over the line, so that gravity does not strain the elastics OR Tumble dry - inserts (medium heat) and shells (low heat)
- Don't use fabric softeners (or detergent containing it) as this can reduce the absorbency of the fibre
- Don't use nappy balms or creams containing zinc or petroleum as this may stick to the insert and reduce absorption (if you need to, place a disposable liner on top of the insert)
- Don't expose the nappy shell (the waterproof part) to heat over 60 degrees
- Dry in sunlight if possible to reduce bacteria and stains (also it's cheaper!)
- If bamboo insert becomes stiff, opt for tumble dry and the insert should soften
- Wash your dirty nappies every 1-2 days if possible, to discourage growth of bacteria.
Fitting your Modern Cloth Nappies
Place cloth nappy on a flat surface
Align the top of nappy-back with top of baby’s bum crack
Pull the nappy up between the legs
When doing up each side, you are going “up then around” the leg, and make sure you place the elastic right in the leg crease so there is no gap between thigh and nappy.
Hold the wing down against the waist and use the other hand to do up the snaps.
Repeat for the other side
Sit back and admire your little cloth bum!
Fitting your OSFM on a Newborn